Sunday, August 7, 2011

Getting Started

Here are some tips I would like to offer about starting to coupon:
 1* Organize your coupons-whether its an accordion folder, envelopes, sticky notes and paperclips, binder-keep them organized. Its much easier to use and look at your coupons when they are organized.
 2* Keep a log. I used an Excel spreadsheet and entered my coupons in. If you have alot of coupons it may be overwhelming so just do a little at a time. I started by entering one category at a time. The column labels I used are: category, manufacture vs. store coupon, amount of money coupon is worth, what product the coupon is good for, expiration date, and the size of the product it is limited to (if any). Also I like to keep track of how much money I have saved.
 3* Cut all coupons. You never know when you will see a good deal. If the product is only a few cents at the store and its a product that your family does not use, you can always donate it.
 4* Always read store coupon policies. I have also heard people say to print out and bring with you the policy because often the cashier may not know the store policy.
 5* Buy at least one Sunday paper on Saturdays. The Sunday paper has ALOT of coupons. Also look in the mail for Red Plum and Smart Source.
 6* When planning a shopping trip, make sure to have all the coupons you plan on using out and with your list. Bring your coupons with you to the store. You never know when you may find a good deal or when an item you have a coupon for might be on sale that wasn't advertised.
 7* Check for clearance items at your store. Coupons most of the time will work on clearance items and you can find even more savings with that. ***Another reason to bring the coupons!
8* To save the maximum amount of money, try to buy items that are on sale, use a store coupon with a manufacture coupon, and look for doublers at the store you shop at. Also keep a look out for buy one get one free or BOGO or B1G1. Alot of coupons are save X amount of money when you buy 2. So when a store is having a BOGO sale and you use your coupon you will get lots of savings.
    Example:  At Safeway, Arm&Hammer laundry detergent was $5.99 each. They were on sale for B1G1 free. I had a coupon for $1.00 off two and then I used a doubler.
    So originally I would have paid around $12 for 2 but I got 2 for about $4.50 which was a 62.5% savings!

I hope some of these tips are useful for your couponing. Let me know if you have any tips you would like me to add!

Happy Kouponing!

No comments:

Post a Comment